Eddystone Radio started life as Stratton and Laughton a subsidiary of Rainsford and Laughton, Birmingham fancy goods manufacturers, in 1925. Sets were produced by the company in bewildering variety. Eddystone receivers were used by many scientific expeditions of the 1930s, such as the British Arctic Air Route Expedition and the Hudson Strait Settlement Expedition. In 1935 work started on VHF experiments and portable Eddystone five-metre equipment was used by the 1936 Mount Everest Expedition.
In 1965, with the agreement of the Laughton family, Marconi set up a company called Eddystone Radio Limited and bought the assets, goodwill and trademarks of the radio business from Stratton and Laughtons. The transition to solid state started in this period.
Eddystone now serves the broadcast industry.
|Model 830||Inside the Model 910|
The Eddystone Users Group ➙ History, Support, Technical Info, Gallery and Buy/Sell forum page opens in new browser window
The Eddystone Web Site page opens in new browser window
Return to Radio Pictures
Return to MCRN Home